Wednesday, February 26, 2014

When I Grow Up I Want To Be... a Teacher! - Wigu Publishing



Age Range: 6 and up  
Series: When I Grow Up I Want To Be... 
Paperback: 60 pages 
Publisher: Wigu Publishing
About the book: Carlee always wanted to be a teacher when she grew up, until her mother is hired as a teacher at her school! Some of her friends are even in her mother's class. Carlee is worried. What will her friends say? Will her mother do something to embarrass her? Carlee vows never to become a teacher like her mother, but as she journeys through the first day of school with her own new teacher, Carlee makes some surprising discoveries.

My review: When I was younger, my mother taught at my school. Unlike Carlee, I actually loved her being there. But it does make me wonder what my daughter has thought about me going to her different classrooms and volunteering. Seeing how I am in the room she is in and not just on the campus. 
Off the bat, I can tell you my daughter absolutely loved this book. When she saw the book after I had pulled it out of the mailing envelope, she immediately said, "Wow, can I read that?" and sat down and started to read it. The illustrations on the cover with the young girl and her backpack, I believe is what drew my daughter's attention to the book. It made it relatable for her. The illustrations inside the book follow the same pattern where Carlee and her friends are in cartoon form and other things are real. Another thing that I felt made this book very interesting is that it has little sections of information on actual people. For instance, when Carlee's teacher is speaking about geography, there is a page about different travelers and all of their information, i.e. Marco Polo, Christopher Columbus, and Lewis and Clark. Each time Carlee learns about something new, the reader also is treated to learning something new with a page showing historical people and what made them famous. Whether the reader realizes it or not, they are taken on a learning journey with Carlee.

When I Grow Up I Want To Be... a Teacher! is part of a series of books that let children know that there are an endless number of things waiting for them to explore in their future. I believe that every family should have this series in their home so that their children can be able to understand that there are options out there and other kids (like the girl in the book) are going through the same thing as they are when trying to decide what their future holds. As I stated before, the book is exceptionally illustrated and wonderfully written.

This book was given to me for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the review. It seems like I just read the book.

    ReplyDelete