Thursday, March 11, 2010

From Food Allergies to Asthma



I just had a conversation with my daughter's allergist. We were going over how her RAST numbers have gone down and what to look forward to in the future. We decided (more or less me) that we would wait two more years before putting my daughter through a food challenge. I just think it would be better if her numbers were closer to zero.

According to her allergist (I can't speak for all the others), there is a certain trend they follow. This would be kids that she has dealt with that have had lower RAST numbers vs. higher ones. As excited as I was to hear that there was a trend in the numbers going down I become dismayed at what followed. See, my daughter not only has food allergies, she also has outdoor and pet allergies. I never thought that her outdoor allergies could become an issue like her food allergies, but apparently they can. She explained that most of the kids that she has whose RAST numbers fall (food wise), start having to deal with allergens in the nose which leads to asthma. The sad thing is that her outdoor allergen numbers went up quite a bit. This is due to the fact that we are going into spring/summer. So, this year, or over the next two years (before her next test session) I have to watch for her coughing or wheezing while she is running. If that starts up, it is back to the allergist again.

Having to make sure I have her epipens and benadryl with me at all times is something that I have become accustomed to. But now having to think that I may have to include an inhaler with them is very disheartening for me. To think that she may have to carry her epipens and an inhaler to school..... I just pray it doesn't get to that point, especially for a kid who is HIGHLY active and loves being outdoors.

Copyright © 2010 Allergykidmom. All rights reserved


7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter suffers from allergies ad asthma. We can certainly relate to having asthma as all four of us have it to some degree.

    We are returning followers stopping by from FF!

    Come on over and visit us when you get a free moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it all works out for her and she doesn't have to worry about an inhaler.

    Following from Friday Follow. :)

    http://sevinfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Wow I'm glad I popped onto your blog from FF! My dd has excema and allergies (peanuts, cats, dogs and a few others at a lower level). You are much more informed as we have only had a few visits and really haven't had to follow up (yet). So far they have given us an epipen for the peanuts and put her on zyrtec for her excema which totally cleared it up.

    I am certainly going to follow you! stop in and say hello over at my place when you get the chance!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I'm a new follower from Friday Follow. Hope to see you around my blog sometime! And please feel free to check out my most current giveaway for 1 of 3 Xbox 360 games :).
    Take Care.
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There, thanks for following my blog.

    As for your daughter and her allergies/asthma. Don't worry if she is active she will always be active. Think Jackie Joyner Kersee (track star/olympian) Asthmatic. I have had asthma all my live and was very sick as a child but my good days were really great days and I played all types of sports. I never heard the excuse "but you have asthma" and I never said it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that. That is good to know!!

    ReplyDelete