Monday, January 4, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife









If you are looking for a beautiful love story, than look no further than The Time Traveler's Wife. This story shows the love of a couple that is never ending. It shows how love can hold you spellbound from a child to a grown adult.
Henry DeTamble is a dapper, fun loving gentleman, at times, who performs the duties of a librarian. He has one gift and that is to be able to travel through time. Throughout the book he travels back and forth between being young and old. Along the way he meets up with a loving, trusting artist named, Clare Abshire who has to deal with him coming and going in her life. The writer lets you experience their happy times, along with their sad moments. You feel Clare's anger when Henry travels and you feel their love for each other whenever he comes back into her life.
Their story is set up in the format of a diary. Because of this, you are able to feel as though you are following along their journey with them. It is laid out with the date and ages of both Henry and Clare each time they cross paths. It does jump from Clare's "story" to Henry's "story" quite a bit which can make you feel like you are hopping back and forth between the two lives instead of following a straight story line. At times I felt as though I had to look back at the beginning of a chapter to check on the ages and to see whose story I was following. Also, the beginning of his life where he time travels with himself didn't hold my attention too much. I felt as though I got more into the story once Clare became a more prominent character in the book.
I do highly recommend this book if you like to read love stories. I haven't read one this good in awhile. After their initial story began, the book kept me captivated until the very end. It did leave me wanting to know more. Like most books lately, this one was also turned into a movie. But if you want my honest opinion, I recommend the book over the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment